Country, the good and the bad


I don't know why, but for some reason I'm not really a fan of the Family Guy. I guess it could be because I've always preferred The Simpsons for as long as I could remember. That is not to take away anything from Seth Macfarlane, who successfully took a knack for voices and turned it into an animation-empire, for lack of a better term. And, like any other story, a certain evolution and sense of character development has occurred, which has included the strengthening of the relationship between Peter Griffin, Cleveland Brown, Glenn Quagmire & officer Joe Swanson (I think, as far as openings go, this is probably the most appropriate for this subject matter).
 Before I continue, I must reiterate that this piece is not a cheap shot at anything or anybody. It's simply me expressing an observation of what I've experienced during my time here. It is NOT an attempt to disrespect anyone nor is it me singing praises about anything. As I've mentioned countless times before, I'm simply an asshole expressing an opinion. And this is one of them.
 Now, let's turn back the clock to a week ago. I had lived in my current  town for approximately 2 years. While sitting at a bar and enjoying a beer, I had a conversation with a young man who I had become acquainted with when I moved here. Nice guy, a bit on the wild side, but otherwise a good kid. While talking, more and more of his friends became engrossed by our conversation. By this point, I had begun to feel slightly out of place, so I responded the way I usually do in situations like these, with social comedy. And one thing I gotta tell you, right here, right now, drunks can sometimes make the best audience. After 20 minutes of reducing them to tears and smoking-afflicted coughs due to the non-stop laughter (which included pleas that I shut up and stop making them laugh), I was later invited to ride with them, before ending up at one's home, where we drank, talked and continued to laugh. I left there, feeling as if I had achieved some form of acceptance, albeit a couple of years too late, but nonetheless. In fact, they insisted on me being there with them, citing "we need a black guy in the group" (as racist as that can be misconstrued, it was still meant with respect...I hope).
 However, it has always been so smooth. Later that week, while walking to the aforementioned bar, a pick-up truck swerved towards me, with a young man in the passenger seat opening his door and hurling racist slurs at me. Of course, preferring not to fight, I just kept walking, further solidifying my perceived "cowardice" (although I am curious as to how much courage is required to challenge someone when he's by himself and you have "friends"). Of course, this isn't the first time. During my tenure here, I've had doors literally slammed on me, drinks thrown at me, disrespect thrown down by folks and of course, let's not forget the repeated and rampant use of the N-bomb (allow me to clarify something folks........there is no circumstance or situation where declaring that you are racist is something to be proud of & by the way, if you use the N-bomb, THEN YOU ARE A *bleep* RACIST). Of course, the problem with me in this situation is, I'm just too dumb to take a hint. But, that's another topic for another time.
 These are two examples of my experience here in this town. So, for better or for worse, I will break it down. 
 I like this place. I like this town. Granted, I have no desire to stay here for the rest of my life. Not because of any dislike, but simply due to my own personal goals and ambitions, which would require a degree of relocation. This town is beautiful. It is not yet spoiled by the unapologetic force of industrialization nor has it been ravaged by many of the problems that plague bigger, more urbanized centers. However, because it is such a quiet environment, it is hardly a place suited for those who require a bit more excitement in their lives. It is more a place for families, seeking a safe haven for their children, couples looking to retire and enjoy their golden years. It is a beautiful place for them. But more than that, it is a place where change does not come easy. 
 My father once told me an ironic joke, where he said that the good and bad thing about marriage could be summed up in one word.....CHILDREN. Well, for any place, the good and bad part about it can be summed up in one word....PEOPLE.
 Now, if I were to sum them up......I would say that they are essentially good. They're hard working, devoted, determined and driven. The elderly are wise and full of knowledge that can be utilized by any member of the youth. The youth are skilled and desire to build things for themselves, be it in this town or the next. 
 But, there are bad apples. However, I would not go so far as to use the R-word with them. I do not, in good conscience, believe them to be that. If anything, they simply lack appreciation for the diversity of the world. In plain English, they just don't see the beauty in things that are different. 
 Either ways, that's my take on this place. Its a good place with a few bad flaws. Its got good people with bad flaws. But, it's beautiful. And I do not deny that. So, accepted or not, desired or not, wanted or not....I'm here. 
 Of course, there still is one question.......if I'm obviously Cleveland Brown in this little rag-tag band of folks......then who else is who!? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections after 3 decades

....signing off✌

Leap of Faith