Peace out, Uncle Phil

 Is there anybody on the planet who isn't a fan of Will Smith? I'd be sincerely hard-pressed to find one, to be perfectly honest. The man is multi-talented, humble and (let's be honest) looks like a statue of a greek god carved from obsidian (which is a dark, extrusive igneous rock.......yes, I paid attention in 9th-grade geography.....I also watch the Discovery channel). He also seems to be somewhat of a sensitive soul and one I can relate with (as arrogant as that may sound), especially after his recent statement......"Every young man needs an Uncle Phil....". It's funny......I've always agreed with that and I'd once again be hard-pressed to find anyone who would disagree.
 Actor James Avery a.k.a. Uncle Phil, died on the last day of 2013 from complications of open heart surgery. He was 68. While his death is indeed a tragedy, I'm not writing this to mourn his death but to celebrate his life.
 As it usually goes in Hollywood, Avery gained most of his recognition from his stint on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air", where he played Phillip Banks, a sucessful attorney-turned-judge who was known for his strict, yet loving nature, his not-so-subtle love of food and his inability to control his anger, which usually led to some hilarious instances, including him constantly throwing Jazz (occassional cast member & noted DJ, Jeffrey "DJ Jazzy Jeff" Townes) out the door like yesterday's garbage (a feat that, to this day, my friends and I still believe to have actually happened and was not just some special effect). But, he was more than that.
 Born James Larue Avery, he was also a script writer, poet & voice actor. His most notable, if slightly unrecognized, voice acting credit was as the villianous Shredder, foe of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (once again, is there anybody who wasn't a fan......? Yeah, thought so).
 As a writer, he was recognized in his own right. Upon his return from serving in the Vietnam war, he began working for PBS as a script writer. It was during his time as a script-writer that he wrote "Ameda Speaks: Poet James Avery", his most sucessful and outstanding piece of work, which won him an Emmy award (and for those of you who aren't sure, no, they don't give those away like teddy bears at a carnival).
 As an actor, he continued to work, long after "The Fresh Prince..", both in film and television. He continued to write, he continued voice-acting and one could reach the conclusion that he was driven.
 To put it simply, I love uncle Phil. Not just for the insanity that he constantly had to endure on the show, but for the strength and understanding he endured it with (though a little more patience would've been appreciated....but then, where's the fun in that?). I love the man because he reminds me of so many people who have served in similar capacities in my life, including my uncle, a man who bore such a resemblence to him, it was uncanny (with just a hint of Kurtwood Smith's "Red Foreman" from "That 70's show".....but I'm digressing). 
 As much as type-casting can be quite a challenge in the film industry (being made to play certain roles because of circumstances), in this context I'm thankful for it. As uncle phil, he not only showed us that men of color can achieve success in the world, but he also showed us what it truly was to be men, to show strength of body, mind and character. He showed us that we all have responsibilities to bear, that we are not without obligations and that stepping up to them is what solidifies our standing as men. He showed us that we are not without our flaws or imperfections. While they do not seem appealing, they humanize us. He showed us that no matter how old or wise you get, you will always make mistakes. The trick is to learn from them.
 But, most of all, Uncle Phil taught us to love, as men. And by giving and accepting that love, we all would become better people.
 In his farewell post, Will Smith stated "Every young man needs an Uncle Phil....". I've been blessed with a few of my own. My only regret is not having met the original U.P. (Uncle Phil......I wonder if the term will catch on), but I guess if I'm lucky I'll see him in heaven.
 While I would like to end this with a quote or something deep and poignant, for the life of me, I can't think of anything to write. I, therefore, will simply end it.
 Rest in peace, Mr. James Avery. Thank you for the years and the lessons. You will be missed.
 Peace out, Uncle Phil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections after 3 decades

....signing off✌

Leap of Faith