Death of a Comedian

 They say always start off with a joke. It's comforting and it puts people at ease. Despite the nature of what I'm about to write, I can't help but revert to type. So......
 Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." 
 Funny, right? Yeah, I didn't think so either. Naturally, there is a reason I started off with this. Not due to it's obvious irony (not to mention the fact that it's a quote from the film "Watchmen" based on the semi-popular comic book which I found to be unappealing), but because it is an accurate depiction of and summation on the life and tragic death of one of the greatest comedians of all time.
 Comedian Robin Williams died on August 11th of this year. Although details are still incoming, what is known is that he committed suicide. In addition, it became evident that Williams, who has spent decades battling both addiction and depression, had been suffering from at least one of these in recent months, leading up to his untimely death. 
 But, I can't tell you anything more than you could probably find out on your own, if you haven't already. That's not the purpose of this piece. I'm not here to announce his death nor am I here to memorialize his memory. Instead, I'm here to celebrate his life, his work and his contributions to the world at large and the world of comedy.
 My first exposure to Mr. Williams wasn't a crowning moment for me. It was a movie night at my home in Asmara, the capital of my native Eritrea. I was a boy at the time, barely 10 years old. The family gathered in front of the 90's era television to enjoy the program viewing on the only T.V. station/channel available at time time. What came on was a back-to-back special of both "Good morning, Vietnam" and "Mrs. Doubtfire". Immediately, the whole family was captivated by this unassuming, yet comical madman who proceeded to turn more than 3 hours of film viewing into a family experience that, I regret to say, we have had far too few of. 
 As a stand-up comedian, Robin Williams was a near-perfect specimen. His wit was undeniable, his timing was accurate, his material was both engaging and edgy at times and his voices and impressions were both hilarious and on-point. But, what made him a true master of his craft was his stage presence. Every stage he set foot on, he owned. Any audience he stood before instantly became putty in his hand. And boy, could he work an audience. I still remember one of my favorite jokes of his. Not only was it priceless, it was damn true. 
 Naturally, his transition to acting was inevitable. Beginning with comedy films and voice acting, he quickly established himself as a box office draw, with a number of successful films under his belt. But what surprised most people, including myself was his ability to act in serious, dramatic roles. Having found several projects to take part in, such as Awakenings, Jack, Patch Adams and several others,  this eventually led up to Good Will Hunting, which landed him an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
 Williams was also known for his various charities and causes, having performed overseas for the troops, among other causes. 
 I could go on and on until my laptop runs outta juice, but I'll stop there, namely cause I'm still in shock. It's so surreal that this man, this truly talented and amazing man who made me and countless people of both his and my generation laugh for years is suddenly dead. What's worse is that the details are still running rampant and lord only knows what's real and what's not. 
 I'm not here to talk about that. That's not my place. I can only hope his family can come to terms with this. You have our deepest condolences. 
 As for Mr. Williams.......I honestly don't know what to say. Having had my own trials and tribulations, I can honestly say I feel for what he went through, though I'm in no position to comment on the nature of his particular situation, for various reasons. 
 Ultimately, all I can do is mourn the loss of a comic genius, a competent actor, a caring humanitarian. I suppose one can marvel at the irony of a beloved comedian suffering from depression, but there's nothing funny about it.
 The world became a sadder place. And I, for one, am quite saddened by it.
 Rest In Peace, Robin Williams. Wherever you end up, I hope you crack them up the same way you had us all cracked up. After all, if you gotta start with a joke....you might as well end with one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections after 3 decades

....signing off✌

Leap of Faith