You're Welcome


 I had a very particular idea of how I was going to write this following blog piece, but after a few conversations with some concerned parties, my approach has deviated somewhat for reasons that I can’t fully articulate. Nonetheless, I beg your indulgence. As for those of a French/post-colonial persuasion, although I would normally ask for you to read this and bear an open mind, you’ll forgive me if I choose to not make that request.
 For those of you who have been living under a rock these past several weeks, let me turn back the clock. France won World Cup 2018 and deservedly so. Although I couldn’t be bother to actually keep track of the games, I can only assume that they played well and wanted it more than the other nations (who I assume were just as deserving as France).
 However, what made this particular French victory (the last one being in 1998) all the more significant was that the majority of the French squad weren’t originally French, but immigrants or children of immigrants (primarily from former French colonies in Africa). Hence, this led some to cry out that “The Last African Team” won the world cup.
 While some have chosen to look at this as a noteworthy accomplishment, others have chosen to take a different view. Daily show host, Trevor Noah (a damn fine stand-up comedian, I don’t mind saying) made this very same point and was swiftly admonished by the French ambassador to the United States. While I will admit that the French ambassador made some good points, he completely mistook the context.
 Since the Berlin Conference, European nations such as France, saw themselves fit to impose themselves upon Africa. This colonialism not only affect the continent in the short-term, it led to long-term ramifications, which included an alteration of the European populace. Admittedly, France is indeed a diverse nation with a multitude of individuals living within the nation and under its banner, but this diversity came as a result of colonialism.
 Now, I’m not going to go into some long and convoluted rant on the effects of colonialism because I have neither the time nor the inclination to dive into such a complicated topic, so I’ll just say this...
 YOU CAN’T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.
 Once upon a time, a nation decided to impose itself upon several other nations simply because it could, despite whatever Machiavellian justifications it gave at the time and could continue to give to this day. In the pursuit of imposing itself on said area and populace, atrocities were committed and people were displaced. What you see are simply the effects of said imposition.
  Trevor Noah made a good point though. He cited that current European sentiment tends to view African immigrants as a touchy subject. There are currently thousands of said immigrants who are roaming the European continent, simply trying to find a safe haven due to the instability of their countries of origin. While some have not been able to achieve this, others have not. Others have found these havens, carved out lives for themselves and made every effort to integrate into their respective societies. While they made be nationalized Europeans, at heart, they’re still African. Even though the players on the French squad are French by identity, they are African by birth. So, why can’t they be both??
 So I say unto them, congratulations to my African brothers on the victory that they secured for their country. I’m not French, but I am African. Moreover, I am a human being and I am afforded empathy. Your victory is truly significant and you all should be proud of yourselves.
 As for the powers that be, I say unto you all, on behalf of the colonies and their peoples, you’re welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections after 3 decades

....signing off✌

Leap of Faith