Details

 If there had been a better choice for Sherlock Holmes than Robert Down Jr., I'd love to know who it is!!??!!??!!??!!?? Jesus, I sound like a complete fan boy.
 Anyways, I honestly believe Hollywood couldn't have picked a better actor to play Sherlock Holmes than Robert Downey Jr. Sure his critical accolades might not be so numerable  There may have been a time where he was known more for his drug-related run-ins with the law ( which could have seriously have destroyed his career, as it has to so many before him, as it will to so many after him). Sure, he may not be in his prime anymore, nor is he the best looking dude on the planet (as opposed to his co-star, Jude Law, who has been viewed as one of the sexiest men alive (another supporting point that I'll never understand women)), but there's a quality that he possesses. If I were to take a wild stab in the dark, I guess its an ability to lose yourself in the role. And lost he was. Considering the parameters in which he was to play Holmes, I'd say he did so beautifully. The wit and charm he displayed, the mannerisms of a man of, and out of place within, Victorian England, his banter with Watson. Hell, even the accent was spot-on (then again, this is a man who could have alienated the African American community with his stereotypical, yet not entirely inaccurate portrayal of Sgt. Lincoln Osiris in "Tropic Thunder"). But mostly, it was "the Sherlock". I once heard that term, though I can't remember from where for the life of me. It's roughly defined as the act of being like the namesake, using the smallest details to paint the broadest pictures. In short, using clues. Sounds easy enough, huh? Guess again. Most people aren't even that adept at seeing whats right in front of them, let alone reading between the lines. How we've managed to survive this long as a species should be a mystery......but like I said, we're not that bright......but that's not what I'm heading.
 In life, we tend to overlook the small details. And sometimes it may be for good reason, but focusing on the big picture isn't the most productive way to go. Sometimes, a detail is the difference between victory and defeat, gain and loss, take your pick. But mostly, it is the difference between knowledge and ignorance. And there's nothing more pathetic than ignorance of ones own self. Why do we do what we do? Why do we like what we like? Am I a vanilla or a chocolate ice cream-type person? Do I like dogs or cats? Am I into skinny or fat chicks? Maybe both? Would I like a Ferrari or a hummer? Can I drive stick or automatic? Do I like it on top or on the bottom?.....its all details, people!!!
 And while we can't all be expected to definitively explain why we like what we like or do what we do, we are aware that underneath instinct and desire, there is a sense of logic, a processing of external stimuli that will lead us in the general direction of our choices, even if its on the sub-conscious level. Like in romance.
 Sure, a certain degree of choice and deference is involved because we are picky, and some more than others can afford to be. But, we will follow our baser instincts when in "pursuit". We will just "follow the scent" in the grand scheme of "the hunt". People, especially on a sub-conscious level, will like others for their qualities, but love them for their flaws. Be they qualities or flaws, these are the details we pay close attention to.
 In my years on this earth, I've met my share of people and I've had my share of experiences. In the course of this, I've discovered details that I like and dislike. Some have infuriated me to no end. Some of endeared me with the warmest glow. But all have pushed me to remember these people, through their own details. The girl that couldn't keep the same hairstyle during the course of one day. The young lady who loved to wear her shorts, even though she knew it annoyed her mom. The girl I always argued with, in our never ending debate of practicality vs. good fashion. The little brother with the mouth that would always have some wise ass remark. The little sister that always kicked me right under the knee cap. The mother who, despite her loving devotion towards me, has been calling me an idiot for the lesser part of 30 years.
 You'll forgive me if this entry seems to have fallen apart, but I believe my point is still sound. People are not ideas. They are details. Amassed details, grouped together by the ionic bond of incidence, held together by experience and strengthened by conviction. Its the details that are, in their own right, a building block into who we are and who we become. Maybe we need to pay a little more attention to 'em. Maybe we're missing something. Like why in the hell Ben Still would get a white guy to play an Aussie playing a black guy??!!

 

Comments

  1. I'm the dude, PLAYING the dude, DISGUISED as another dude. You the dude who don't know which dude he IS!

    Haha! I love Robert Downey Jr. as well!
    Well written blog, yet again, even though you had much to tell. But it was a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections after 3 decades

....signing off✌

Leap of Faith